It can be a big step to move interstate and it will take a lot of planning and preparation. While it may seem overwhelming now, if you stay organised and on top of everything your move will run smoothly and seamlessly.
We've put together this handy checklist to help your plan and organise your move.
One Month Before Moving
A month before moving day you need to start getting everything organised. There is a lot to do in a short amount of time and you don't want to leave everything to the last minute.
- Go through quotes from different removalists to find a company that suits you.
- Choose a removalist company to help you move.
- Make an inventory of all the belongings that need to be moved.
- Notify your property manager or landlord that you are moving out.
- Contact your utility providers to disconnect and reconnect your services at your new home.
- Research the area that you're moving to so you know where supermarkets, petrol stations, and hospitals are.
- Purchase packing materials if you plan to pack yourself.
Two Weeks Before Moving
As moving day approaches you will need to ensure that everything is ready for the big day. It's time to start packing up all of your belongings and organising what you're going to keep and what you're going to get rid of.
- Sort through your belongings and work out what items can be sold or thrown out.
- Organise for a rubbish removal if you have excess junk.
- Start packing your least used items in boxes.
- Organise storage if you can't take all your belongings with you.
- Arrange to take time off work if you need to.
- Finalise any travel arrangements.
- Pay to have your mail redirected to your new address.
One Week Before Moving
On the week of your big move you will need to make sure everything is packed and ready to go. It's time to finalise everything in your old home and start getting ready to move to your new home.
- Clean your old home and organise professional carpet cleaning.
- Disassemble all your furniture and keep screws, wheels, and bolts stored in a secure location.
- Pack the remaining items on your inventory and ensure all boxes are labelled.
- If your car is being transported get it serviced first.
- Clear out and defrost your fridges and freezers.
- Pack your personal luggage.
- Keep all important documents on you throughout the moving journey.
On moving day you'll need to ensure everything runs as smoothly and seamlessly as possible. Make sure you get a good night's sleep and have everything you need for the day on hand.
- Show the removalists around your home and show them what needs to be packed.
- Go through your inventory and make sure everything is in order.
- Hand in your keys to the property managers or the landlord.
- Do a final sweep of the property to make sure nothing has been left behind.
- Turn off all electricity switches and lock up the property.
- Keep food and water with you throughout the day.
Staying on top of your move should be easy with these handy tips and tricks. Keep this checklist on hand next time you move for an easy and stress-free experience!